EDITED APRIL 21ST. THE NEW KCC HOME EDUCATION WEB PAGE WAS MADE PUBLIC IN ERROR AND IS NOT YET AVAILABLE. HOME EDUCATORS IN KENT WILL RECEIVE FURTHER INFORMATION IN DUE COURSE.
I have put a marked up copy of the draft policy on my website together with my rationale for the changes I am suggesting. Below is a sample page from the marked up copy (open image in new tab for larger version) Extract from my rationale
- The first sentence adds nothing to the policy and is potentially misleading. Parents don’t have to satisfy the school that they are fully informed.
- I have suggested making a much clearer distinction between informal conversations where parents might indicate that they are considering home education, and parents sending formal notification that the child’s name is to be removed from the school roll (otherwise known as deregistering)
- Why not acknowledge that schools may be acting out of self-interest when they push families to home educate?
- It is better to be realistic about the limits of KCC’s influence and ability to provide support
- It would be good to spell out out the implications of Alternative Provision funding
- It would be good to spell out the 14-16 FE funding unless KCC is trying to keep this option hidden?
- Parents don’t have to justify their decision to the school
- Schools should listen to parents long before parents feel they have no choice but to home educate
- “Recommended good practice” just means that KCC hopes it will happen. Parents should not be misled by this when they read the policy.